Greensboro is a leader in aviation services in the Southeast with many aviation employers in the region. From jet aircraft manufacturing to aviation maintenance to overnight air delivery, many companies specializing in aviation call Greensboro home.
Excellent Airport Access
At Piedmont Triad International Airport (PTIA), aviation-related companies enjoy hundreds of acres of developable land – some with runway access – along with non-congested air space and low ground lease rates. Some additional facts about PTIA include:
- Three runways: a main 10,000’ runway, a 9,000’ parallel runway, and a 6,380’ crosswind runway
- Home to more than 50 companies on a 4,000-acre campus that infuse an estimated $1 billion into the local economy annually
- Offers an on-site aviation school, several freight and overnight delivery carriers, and two fixed based operators
- 296,000 square foot terminal includes two concourses and 25 aircraft gates
Aviation innovators are creating a dynamic industry cluster. Major companies in aircraft manufacturing aviation maintenance, and freight delivery are located here. Notable developments include:
- Honda Aircraft Company, with 1500 employees and growing, established its world headquarters, research & development, and manufacturing operation in Greensboro in 2007. In 2012 Honda expanded doubling their headquarters building and hangar capacity. Honda Aircraft’s airport campus now totals approximately $160 million in capital investment to create more than 680,000 square feet of state-of-the-art R&D, production, administration, and customer service facilities.
- FlightSafety international Inc., the world’s leading aviation training company,
- HAECO is the largest independent third-party MRO provider in the United States with 1,800 employees locally. HAECO offers scheduled line maintenance and services for both wide and narrow body aircraft.
- FedEx Express Mid-Atlantic Air Hub occupies a 1-million square-foot facility at Piedmont Triad International Airport. The facility has the capacity to sort 24,000 packages per hour.
Aviation Education & Training
Aviation thrives here supported by strong education and training programs in the Greensboro region including engineering, material science, nanotechnology and aircraft maintenance. Several unique programs are preparing a skilled workforce for the aviation industry:
- Guilford Technical Community College created the T.H. Davis Aviation Center providing hands-on aviation experience. The Center’s partnership with Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University allows graduates to pursue advanced aviation degrees
- Andrews High School Aviation Academy gives students a head start on the technical training in the aviation industry.
Click here to read our Aviation advertorial, Greensboro NC Is All About Aviation, that was published in Expansion Solutions Magazine online. Other information is available for download below and in our Data Center.