Greensboro is midway between New York and Miami offering an outstanding East Coast location. More than half of the U.S. population can be reached within 650 miles. This vibrant business climate also boasts a robust and reliable infrastructure to serve the needs of supply chain and logistics firms.
Infrastructure that Connects You to the World
- FedEx operates a Mid-Atlantic Air Hub at the Piedmont Triad International Airport and a FedEx Ground facility a few miles away.
- Located squarely at the intersection of I-40, I-85 and future I-73/I-74, Greensboro also offers convenient access to I-95 and major highways, including US 29, US 220, NC 68 and NC 421.
- Piedmont Triad International Airport (PTIA) is the home to more than 50 companies. Its central location and state-of-the-art facilities make PTIA a catalyst for commercial and industrial development.
- Extensive rail service is provided by Norfolk Southern and CSX.
- Greensboro is only 3.5 hours from North Carolina’s deep-ports at Wilmington and Morehead City and also Charleston, Savannah and Norfolk.
The strength of our existing businesses showcases that Greensboro is as an excellent home for transportation and logistics operations. Perhaps the most notable of these is FedEx Express, which has a Mid-Atlantic Air Hub at Piedmont Triad International Airport with the capacity to sort 24,000 packages per hour. Also key to Greensboro’s success is the UPS ground facility, which sorts 44,000 packages per hour in a 282,316-square-foot facility.
Supply Chain & Logistics Education & Training
Greensboro boasts a well-trained workforce for the transportation & logistics industry. Businesses are supported by qualified workers who are trained at well-respected universities and technical schools throughout the area. Three of the region’s schools have developed curricula that focus specifically on transportation and logistics and prepare students for careers in the industry
- North Carolina A&T State University is home to a nationally recognized Transportation Institute and offers a B.S. degree in Transportation/Supply Chain Management, an M.S. Management degree with a concentration in Transportation/Supply Chain Management, as well as a certificate program in Supply Chain Management.
- The University of North Carolina at Greensboro offers a Post-Baccalaureate Certificate and coursework in the MBA degree in Supply Chain Management.
- Guilford Technical Community College (GTCC) provides a Global Logistics Technology program to prepare individuals for career opportunities in distribution, transportation and manufacturing. GTCC will also provide on-the-job training in transportation related topics through their Business and Industry Division.
Click here to view our Supply Chain & Logistics cluster brochure